Monday, May 16, 2011

Baby turns 3 months!

Often, at the end or beginning of a year, I'd marvel at how time passed by so quickly and wonder where on earth the year went and what exactly I'd accomplished during that period. Today, I look at my little boy who just turned 3 months and wonder to myself where those last few months went. I guess raising a kid and seeing him grow over time makes time seem to fly by even more quickly. In just a blink of an eye, the newborn whom you first got acquainted with at the hospital has grown much bigger in size and become a young baby who is now getting more adept at communicating his needs and even feelings with you, even though his only tools are cries, facial expressions and coos at this stage. He is also now more physically active, exercising his muscles and practising both his gross and fine motor skills. Honestly, it's amazing when you look back on the journey as a parent and realise just how far your baby has come in just a matter of months or even weeks.


According to the above book, which Hubby bought for us as a reference, the following are month-appropriate development milestones that Justin has reached thus far:

1. recognise face and smile in response
2. wave arms in excitement
3. make gurgling noises
4. track nearby objects with eyes
5. raise head and chest
6. support upper body with arms when placed lying on stomach
7. become more aware of hands and bring them to the mouth


#6 and #7 are more recent developments that Justin has demonstrated. He's still a little wobbly at #6, but I think with more practice, he should be able to become a little more steady. :) Once he hits 4 months of age, I should be able to expect the following:

1. better control of head and turn to explore surrounding due to increased curiosity
2. sit up with support
3. better control of hands and bring them together
4. use hands to reach for things more accurately
5. bring feet up and play with them when lying on back
6. roll over from stomach to back

Of course, from all the reading I've done, I understand that every baby is unique and may not reach the same milestones within the estimated time frame. But eventually, whether within the coming month or not, Justin will be able to do the above and many more thereafter, which makes me look forward to every day, in the event that I catch something new! My only grouse at this point is that I might not be able to make as many new observations as I've had so far once I return to work, but at least Hubby will be around when I'm not, and I might have wonderful tales to listen to when I get home.

But for now, happy 3 months, my boy! :)

PS. And to Hubby, happy 62nd wedding month! (Yep, 16's a special number in this family. ^_^)