Friday, May 20, 2011

A day...of coos and smiles.

My dad has always been kind of an introvert, the usually subdued figure in the household. That is, unless you hit his talking nerve with a topic of his interest. When that happens, he can probably go on and on about it if you'd let him. I remember that once, hubby was asking him about some historical fact about Singapore (something to do with names, I think), and my dad surprised me by sharing with hubby loads of facts and anecdotes he'd come across before.

Last Sunday saw my dad being chatty in a similar fashion, though the language used this time was vastly different from the English or Mandarin that we understand. The person who managed to draw him out of his quiet shell and engage him in a conversation this time? Baby Justin.

Here's the pictorial proof:


This has got to be one of my favourite photos of all time. I love the way Justin's looking at his grandfather with a hint of an adoring smile as he coos to the latter, and how my dad plays the role of a doting grandfather, touching Justin's face and focusing on him in a reciprocative manner. The conversation was rather loud, and it tickled the rest of the family to see it taking place. Hubby was at the scene too and wondered aloud what on earth the two were saying to each other. All that we heard was Justin going 'coo...ooo...ohh...' and my dad replying 'hmm...ahh...mmm...', as if he truly understood what his grandchild was telling him. A friend who saw this picture on my FB described it really well; he said that he loved how Justin was looking at my dad as well because it portrayed the 'connection across generations'. I totally agree.

Indeed, love has no defined language, for its power transcends the boundaries of understanding. In this instance, generation gap between two people, whose difference in age comprises several decades, doesn't exist at all. :)

May my baby boy remain as sweet as he made himself out to be that day and be a filial son and grandson in future.