Saturday, May 7, 2011

A day...of polling.

To tell the truth, I'm no fan of politics -- in my own country or anywhere else in the world. I do occasionally follow certain news covering some of the bigger issues and events, mainly out of curiosity or just to participate in coffee talk, but that's about as far as I would go. Heck, I can't even recite the names of all the ministers here!

This year, however, is slightly different. Ask me what happened during the previous GE and I'll simply shrug and say "I don't know. I don't care." But this year, although I am still no avid follower of GE 2011, I must say that my interest in the recent happenings in this arena has increased by a margin. What actually sparked off this mild increase in interest was a youtube video that Hubby showed me one day. In it, a certain 27-year-old dressed in white, who happens to love Kate Spade, running for candidature, stamps her feet in a mini tantrum when asked a question during an interview and says what has now become an infamous line: "I don't know what to say!" My goodness. And then, of course, there's this other pretty young thing who emerged as this Kate Spade fan's rival in this political contest. She caught my attention in the beginning for being confident and mature for her tender age but, unfortunately, over time, I simply grew tired of her solemn ways of speaking.

It's actually a good thing that there are such personalities in this year's GE. It all adds to the excitement and I believe having such fresh faces around makes the younger generations less apathetic. Just one look at my FB home section and you can see lots of comments about what's happening in this arena this year, even among the teens. In fact, I get quite a lot of updates reading other people's status and comments. The fact that my own constituency was contested also added to the interest.

But most importantly, this year's GE will always mean something to me because it's the first time I walked to a polling station to place my vote with 2 people very dear to me -- my hubby and my 11-week-old baby boy, Justin! Yes, though it was just a stroll to the void deck of a nearby block and then to the reservoir and around the neighbourhood following the voting, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's during such walks that I feel absolutely blessed to have my own little family whom I love so much. After all, it's a dream come true for me! :)

Because this year's GE has been quite full of hype, I can just imagine myself, years down the road, recounting to Justin what some characters once involved in local politics were like when he was a mere baby. Haha.

Ok, time to finally sleep. Perhaps I shall dream of my baby boy running for government with other babies tonight. Hmm...a party made up of drooling babies, wielding milk bottles and pacifiers, babbling their rally speeches? That should make a fun dream...