Saturday, May 14, 2011

I want that Prada!

You know you really do love something you come across during shopping when it's so hard to walk away from it. There's that mighty strong desire to own it, sometimes despite a hefty price tag that comes along with it. Only real discipline can prevent you from whipping out your wallet and becoming somewhat poorer than before.

I lurrve bags, as much as Hubby does watches. Hubby says that one can be tardily dressed and still look cool with a quality watch on his/her wrist. I think that I can be dressed in the plainest and least expensive clothes and all it would take is an It Bag to raise the level of sophistication several notches.

But it doesn't mean that I'm someone who burns tremendously large holes in her pockets just to get her hands on the stash that Prada, Gucci, LV, Burberry etc. have to offer. I don't belong to the camp where everyone tries to go for a particular brand or style in season. Neither am I a bag collector of any brand. I just like to purchase bags that I have the 'feel' for; it just so happens that occasionally, those bags belong to certain luxurious names. And when I do have my eye on such bags, I'd be much more tempted to get them only if they come with discounts.

Temptation came last week, in the form of this:


Hubby showed me the page that featured the black prada work bag above, which I thought would be perfect as an incentive for me to return to work in a few weeks' time. I mean, it is nowhere near being a substitution for my baby boy, but at least, with a nice bag for my work documents to travel in to and from work, my spirits might be lifted a tad. However, it took me a long time to decide whether to get it. After all, with a baby to raise, we do need to be more cautious with our spending. Besides, I'm not much of a spendthrift myself, so it'll take me quite a while before I get tempted enough to part with my bucks.

Nevertheless, the big 'T' won the battle. I usually get a new work bag once or twice each year anyway, and I figured if I got myself this Prada, it would probably last me quite some time. But before we could take any further action, we found ourselves staring at the words 'SOLD OUT' beneath the picture of the bag.

Since that day, I've been thinking of the bag. What's worse is that I can actually see myself using the bag. And having seen the beige one above, I think I like that one even more, though I'd still be happy with the black one. But now, since I only want to get the bag on discount and the Prada page is now closed, I can only stare wistfully at this picture while Hubby's words keep ringing in my ears: "See lah, if that time we just get the bag, you would have it now. Sometimes you can't think too much one...like then get, else end up with nothing then you feel so lousy..."

SIGH. My only consolation now is that I'm not $900++ poorer than before.